Sunday 29 January 2012

Gone Fishing

I sat by the river watching the rain drops expand in little circles on the surface. It was peaceful here. I like places like this. The rain didn't bother me because, although it was now quite heavy, my coat was more than a match - it had survived Welsh hillsides.


I had picked this spot on the bank as it was nicely away from everyone. There are times to be sociable and times when even two is a crowd. I was thusly a little annoyed when an old chap, wearing full fisherman's clothes came and sat beside me.

He stuck up conversation. It wasn't what I wanted, but I'm not a rude man. I just hoped he'd get bored and move on.

"So what bait are you using?"

"None at all."

"And are you being successful?"

"Indeed." It was true. Before coming here I was quite tense. Now I was relaxed and quite at peace.

He looked at my fishing rod and then back at me. "That must be quite some technique you have there."

I couldn't think of anything to say, and as I wasn't trying very hard, I said nothing.

"That's very thin line you must be using. I don't think I can see it."

"Line?"

"Yes, fishing line. Some of the brand new Dyneema stuff?"

"Oh no, there's no line there at all. Can't stand fish."

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm keen on peace and solitude (at times) and not at all keen on fish.

      Delete
  2. I'll join you next time. Opposite banks. We'll see who relaxes the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time we went fishing together you were tossing sticks of dynamite into the river. It wasn't peaceful. Where the hell you found the WWII depth charge I couldn't imagine.

      Delete

Comments are always appreciated